14 July 2008

Mt. Evans, you're my Everest

Evans, Everest; they're the same right?

I have a nemesis, Mt. Evans.

I have tried to roll my wheels atop it's summit on three separate occasions only to be denied each time.

June 24, 2006 - Attempt 1. Andie and I set out from Idaho Springs, by Echo Lake Andie had decided this ride was a little too much for her considering she had only been riding a few times that years so far, too much time running. We had some delicious pie and then descended.

July 17, 2007 - Attempt 2. I roll out from my house at 6:30 a.m.. I roll through Evergreen and pick up John and we head out to Evans via Squaw Pass. We get over Squaw and to Echo Lake where we're denied, the Mt Evans Hill Climb bike race is going on and the road is closed, drats!
Vietnam Memorial in downtown Morrison, CO

July 11, 2008 - Attempt 3. I checked the calendar, we're clear, roads open. BT and I roll out from my house and we start up.
Making our way up Bear Creek Canyon

We make it to Evergreen and everything is looking good, spirits are high.
The smiling didn't last too long after this

We began up Squaw Pass with energy high and beautiful skies.
Squaw Pass Road, not much traffic on a Friday.

Then Mt. Evans lashed out and said "Nay, not today Nick. I shall never give in." BT, while doing a little mock-attack about 2/3 of the way up Squaw Pass broke a spoke. Dang it.
After inspecting the spoke, classic fatigue failure at the bend.

We get the bike to a point that we think he can ride it down, but as soon as we start out two more spokes break. Now on an 18-spoke wheel this is significant, 3 spokes is almost 17% of your spokes. The wheel was totally unrideable, BT began pushing his now skidding wheel along as I rode down to get help.
More broken spokes, these looked more like tensile failures, the extra load they were carrying after the first spoke broke was just too much.

Three tries and zero successes, only makes me want it more. I'll be back real soon to get it. At least I climbed it on foot on 6/25/06, that makes these spouts of bad luck a little easier to take.
BT, trying out the 650c wheel solution to get down the mountain, we opted for the 700c even though it was 10-speed and he needed 9-speed. Brakes are good.

I don't know about you, but I'm staying away from low spoke count wheels.

No comments: