21 May 2008

My first criterium!

Well, on 5/20/2008 I participated in my first ever criterium, or any sort of a road bike race for that matter. First impression, intense, and fun. The crit was a laid back crit on top of South Table Mountain in Golden, CO at the Colorado State Patrol test track. Each lap was about 1.5 miles long and with some mild rolls throughout, the race would cover 12 laps total and every other lap would be a sprint lap with points rewarded 5 deep.

I arrive at the start line and it was obvious I was the outsider, everyone else had there conversations going and I stuck out with my lack of team kit, visor on my helmet, and hairy legs. After the explanation of the rules we were sent off, I was a bit timid about riding in a group at speed so I stuck to the left edge for the first two laps. The left edge was great for not feeling boxed in, but horrible for all the rocks on the track, I needed to move. Luckily at the end of the 2nd lap the sprint stretched the group out and I was easily able to move over to the right, much better. I was getting more comfortable and the pace of the pack was picking up. I looked around and I actually saw one other guy with unshaven legs, he looked at me and we both understood each other.
In my head I decided I would try for some points on the third sprint, but during the second sprint I found myself set up beautifully, if not a little far from the finish. I went
from the right side and two guys had already started off the front. I came by the front of the pack on the outside of a turn at about 33 mph and caught them by surprise. I quickly passed one of the away riders and then the other. I was all alone and wishing the line was near. The last 300 yards were torture, not able to let up and my only companion was the paranoia that I was being chased down. I wasn't going to look back, I had to keep going. Right at the line a guy appeared on my right and nicked me by half a length, but 2nd in the sprint was great.
I rode in the pack the next few laps and just when I was getting ready to contest the next sprint I flatted. Dang, at least it was near the finish. I pulled out and the race director said I could have $5 off the race next time because they didn't sweep the track before the race, sweet, I'll be back.

No comments: