01 May 2008

14A, you win this time.


Wednesday April 23rd, 9:30 a.m. 36 °F. I head out from my little motel room in Lovell, WY and turn onto US Route 14A.

The wind was slightly at my tail, it was my last day of vacation, the road was closed 20 miles ahead for the winter and I couldn't help but enjoy myself. I learned the previous day about the winter closure, but I still had the optimism that it would be clear and closed to cars only.


The miles were flying by, 25 minutes for the first 11 miles, tail winds make my legs feel good. The road was devoid of vehicles except for the occasional truck from the bentonite mine. The transition to the climb is gradual and sneaks up on you, before you realize it you're into a 5400+' climb. Around mile 16 my girlfriend caught me with the sag wagon as she wanted to see the route and wished she had brought her bike with as well. She drove next to me for 2 miles, it was nice having my own personal support car, I felt important. I was now having to work harder, but I didn't realize the incline because of how gradual it came on. Soon I was wondering, "Did I blow my legs in the race a few days ago?", "Did I not sleep well last night?" as my pace slowed and breathing rate increased. Soon the support car left to check out of the motel and I was left to finish up the ride. I still didn't know why I felt like I did on a slight incline, but I took a picture which later revealed what my "slight incline" really was.
Just after passing the 10% grade sign you come to this sign, I guess the climbing is about to actually start, sweet. It really is pretty out there and I would like to be back a little later in the spring when everything greens up, I've heard it's "...like riding through Ireland", at least until August when it browns up again. I was in a groove and remembered how much I love climbing; even though I promised my GF that I would turn around soon so we could drive 9 hours back to Denver, I really wanted to finish out the climb. The winter closure was fast approaching and before I knew it I was there. Hmmmm, nothing about no bikes, winter recreation? sure that can be me, keep on rolling.
I'd like to say there was less traffic, but after the closure was pretty much the same as before, nothing much, I did get passed by two truck hauling heavy equipment to clear the road up high, they must be getting ready to actually open the road to cars. Now the grade increased a little, maybe some shots up to 15% or so, a good time for sure.
Well I soon turned around and went back, my appetite wetted, I'll be back to finish it right soon.

A couple parting shots:

No comments: