09 May 2008

Even Steven!


Days commuted by car in 2008: 31
Days commuted by bike in 2008: 31

Gallons of gas saved: 36

Today is the day that I evened up my commuting miles for 2008.
I had made it a resolution to commute by bike more days than car in 2008. I was doing well the first week of January, even though it was cold and snowy, but soon was far behind due to bad weather, rest days before 24 HOP, recovery days after 24 HOP, and general wussiness. I have since turned the tables and today I evened it up.

I've saved about $120 in gas, which means I am no longer upside down on my commuter bike purchase.

Bike cost: $50
Fenders: $25
Rear Rack: $10
Seat bag: $6
Spare tube: $3
New Shifters: $18

Total: $112

I'm $8 ahead and enjoy my commute much more. Plus, my insurance on my car lowered because now I'm driving it only 2-3 times a week and most of that is on the weekend. I'll keep this in mind and make sure I don't go very negative on my investment here as I shop for a longer stem and taller geared crankset.

2 comments:

Bryan Taylor said...

You are my hero! Even???? wow! I'll see you soon W^2

Alana Alexis said...

You are inspiring me! Today was my first ride to work ever, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I'll never be even steven, but at least I'm getting on the bike!