28 June 2008

Maybe not such a smart move

Ok, so I thought it was a good idea to run up Gray's Peak (14,270') 8 days before the Leadville Trail Marathon. Riiiiiggghhht.
Well it was fun, but I'm paying for it now, sore and tired legs for sure. At least I've established a time for me to later beat, 2 hours 7 minutes to the top and 3 hours 11 minutes round-trip. Stats are roughly 13.3 miles and 4500' of elevation, I started from I-70. I also power-hiked the last mile to the summit, so I can work on being able to run the whole thing too. The camera's battery died a little over 13,000' feet so no summit pic, but I swear I was there. I have a GPS track to prove it! This was the 4th time summiting Gray's Peak for me.
As an aside, if you want to feel good about yourself, run up a 14er. There were a lot of hikers out and every one of them was flabbergasted that I was running and they all were cheering me on. I had more people cheering for me than the Steamboat Half-Marathon did.
Gearing up to get on the trail


Typical section of the 3 mile road up to the other trailhead.


Still enjoying myself.


There's a couple of interesting old structures still left over from the mining days.


Getting close to the Gray's Peak TH and almost to treeline.


The bridge at the gray's Peak TH, only about 4 miles and 3000' elevation to the top.


It's almost July and there's still snow around, I crossed 4 snow fields. Gray's Peak (14,270') on the left and Torrey's Peak (14,267') on the right.


My favorite part of the trail, the water is crystal clear.


The trail gets rougher as you ascend. This was the last shot before the battery died.

No comments: